Oh No, Not Again - I Need To Learn A New Interface???


Here comes a rant. You don't have to read all this, but I HAVE to write it. That's how I vent.

I mean.....

I took a look at the new one - they call it "Gutenberg" - and I hate it. Why oh why can't they just leave well enough alone???

It looks dreadful. I tried playing around with the "Blocks" and all I can say is groannnnn.....

Right now I'm typing this in the old Wordpress, the one that took me all of two whole weeks before I was comfortable with it. Learning Wordpress was a real chore because it's so different from Blogger which I had used for about 10 years. That meant learning a whole new blogging setup. So I went to Wordpress and had to plod my way through with tutorials, groaning and screaming all the way because it was SO different from Blogger. Ok, I got it now. Leave me alone for goodness sakes. I do NOT want another change!

In the new one - Wordpress's "Gutenberg"- instead of seeing a flat text area like the one I'm using right now - you get these boxes that are jumping all over the place. Each paragraph is a separate box. Is that insane or what? I'm looking at my text here in the old Wordpress. Everything is right in front of me. There's a formatting toolbar above with the usual formatting icons. Why is this not good enough??? Why split up every paragraph into boxes that appear and disappear as you try to use them? What a nightmare!

It will be awhile before I go back and take another look. After just one hour looking at the new one I'm just overwhelmed. I don't want to see it again until I recover from this shock. Until then I'll just use this one that I'm used to - until they force the new one on me. Groannnnn......
 

UPDATE:
Hundreds of people complained about the new interface, so Wordpress has made it possible to revert to the old one, which I'm doing. But they're still pushing the new interface and I can tell you one thing - if they take away the ability to use the old one, I'll leave Wordpress forever. And from what I've read in forums, so will a lot of other people.

LATER - ANOTHER UPDATE:
So along comes Blogger, which is my main blog platform - and what are they doing??? Changing the interface!!! And just like Wordpress's changes, I hate the new interface. WHY do they do this? I've never seen an update yet that is an improvement over the old one. And you ALWAYS lose features you had before. 

SOOO .....!!! Then comes Facebook!!! What are they doing??? Changing the interface!!! I could hardly believe it. The three platforms I use every single day - all changing the interface, and in each case the interface is vastly inferior to the old. Is this insanity?

No comments: