A Change of Heart - A Change of Course


I came across a Scripture that stunned me, and I could hardly believe I'd never "seen" it before. How many times have I read this Bible through? Yet - I had never seen this very, very simple verse. I suppose the reason is that the Lord controls the timing of our revelations. He times everything in our lives, and he shows us his Word - I like to say he "rhemafies" his Word to us - according to his plan for our lives. That's why I'm seeing this only now.

This is the Scripture I came upon:

"Commit your works to the Lord,
and your thoughts will be established."
Proverbs 16:3

There probably isn't a more simple verse in the Bible, but after decades of reading his Word, I never "saw" it. But as soon as the Lord "rhemafied" it to me just recently, I began to commit my work to him every single day, and ask him, therefore, that my thoughts be established.

And since then ...well ...there HAS been a change in my thoughts, in my heart.

In fact, I've noticed my thoughts changing drastically. I find myself pulling away from subjects that had mattered a lot to me. I've lost interest in "the world." I've found in my heart that the only thing I want to do in my posting online is put posts out there that have to do with HIM.

Over the years I had gotten very involved with all that's happening in the world, and I dug right in from years back and put my efforts into informing people who don't have as much time as I do to investigate all that's going on. But now ...though I've tried, I just can't work up interest in those things anymore. It's left me. The interest is just not there.

Does that mean I won't vote or support those who stand for the right things? Of course not, I'll vote. But I don't need to get into the nitty-gritty of what's going on. I KNOW what's going on. I do read the headlines every morning. I do listen to pastor J D, Jan Markell, and others who make sense out of it all for us. But that's all. That's as close as I can get. My heart is elsewhere...

I believe God has everything under HIS control. I've seen in the Bible how he brought enemies to Israel when Israel turned away from him. Has America turned away from him? It depends on what camp you're in. Many love the Lord. But more ...don't. And if "the world" in America turns away from God ...her enemies will take over. My mission is not to meddle in those things - people have made up their minds and one thing I've learned as I've gotten older is that when people have made up their minds, you can't change them. Change ...can only happen by the Holy Spirit's work in a person's heart. I can't change anyone's heart. I can only watch.

So I've come to realize that my heart has pulled away from all that and I find that I only want to glorify the Lord in what I post, whether it be writings or pictures, or whatever else ...and even in doing so, I can't make those things change hearts either - only the Spirit of God can.

I believe that's why Jesus himself did NOT involve himself in the government when he walked this earth. The Roman Empire was the government at that time, and it was as corrupt as America has become. But Jesus did not address that. His very disinterest in the government of the day speaks volumes to me. And my heart pants deeply after his heart, and I find myself - not deliberately, it's just happening this way - I find myself simply disinterested in the goings on of the government and the world, because there's nothing I can do to change it, just as he knew there was nothing he could do to change it. He recognized that the whole world lies in wickedness (1 John 5:19), and he's left it that way until this age is over.

So I've said all that to say this: my heart has changed. I'm no longer interested in the world. My heart follows after the Lord and I now seek only his approval as I find myself only wanting to glorify him in all that I do. I'll lose friends who won't understand that, but I've walked with him long enough to know that that's normal. And if anyone is touched by anything that I post, it will be the Holy Spirit touching hearts, I do not have the power to do that. Only he can. I wouldn't want it any other way.


No comments: