What Could Be Sadder?


This morning I was reading a post on Fox News, a suicide note left by a woman who hung herself. Suicide always has a profound effect on me as the first thing I think of is I wonder what the person was thinking - and what happened next, after the act.

My next thought was this: As gruesome as abortions are, and they truly are, yet what could be worse than ending one's life thinking they're getting away from their problems only to find themselves in hell for all eternity?


I want to add here - I'm not saying all who commit suicide go to hell, please don't think I mean it that way. But when you look at a life that shows no evidence of salvation, then you realize that in this case she more than likely ended up in hell. For all eternity. I think of the shock. Nothing could be worse than that.

I posted this on Facebook this morning - I wasn't thinking of starting a whole long argument, but that's what happened. Some thought I was being judgmental - I guess they didn't read the post well - I obviously wasn't being judgmental, I was just thinking out loud. Gotta be careful of that on Facebook.
Anyway, the complaint was that I was consigning suicides to hell. Of course I wasn't - only God knows the eternal fate of a person. I was just mulling over the possibility that the person did not know the Lord and if so, she wouldn't be going with him. The only way one can be saved is by being born again through faith in Jesus Christ. That's not my judgment, that's what Jesus has said. We are a sinful, fallen people. God loved the world so much that he provided a redeemer for whoever will accept him. Without a redeemer, one is lost. Scripture says they are "condemned already."

Pretty heavy stuff, but when you think of what Jesus Christ went through in order to redeem us, how can it be anything but logical that if someone doesn't receive what he did, there's just no other way.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. "

John 3:16

vs 18-19
"He who believes in him is not condemned;
but he who does not believe is condemned already,
because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world,and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."

So is it judgmental to wonder if the person who committed suicide is in heaven or not?
 

No comments: